Topic: Spambots, ugh

These spambots are getting annoying. Is there any way you can put a filter, like one of those crazy word thingies that'll filter them out? I know this place only has like 2-3 active members, but still, spambots are spambots.

Re: Spambots, ugh

Agreed.  We need better captchas.  Or even do away with captchas- I've seen some sites (like Mozilla) that use questions that only humans could solve, like "What is 2 + 2?" or "If you want to report a bug, where should it be reported?"

First they create an army of spam users, then they post in the first topic they find (which includes my Ubuntu package thread sad ), then they create their own topics!  Geesh...

Yeah, I don't know. Sorry guys :0
There is a captcha but it keeps letting a few spam accounts passed, which I manually delete whenever I check up on the forums. I'm not sure if there are any better plugins for PunBB, I'll look into it next week

We seem to have a rash of new users.  I'm not sure if any of them are spambots, but considering their sigs and they're totally irrelevant posts...

9 (edited by Giik 2010-07-03 16:59:09)

Yeah, it looks like the machines are becoming intelligent  neutral
Bomb shelter anyone?

Project Forum Purity?

Tasteout 3: Never coming to game shelves near you.

I guess people are creating the accounts and having bots log into them? I don't know how they're getting around the captcha <_<

We could try ReCaptcha. That's the one that uses two random words. It's pretty popular, so there might be a plugin for it.