Topic: Input ignored

Hi all! This is great game  smile

Unfortunately, sometimes happens weird thing. Sometimes I press a key and game does not respond. This is mostly when pressing left and right arrows. I run it on Windows Vista on my decent laptop.

Does anybode experience something simillar?

Thanks.

Re: Input ignored

Sometimes keyboards aren't physically wired to handle certain combinations of keys being pressed at one time, there isn't much that can be done about that  sad
You can redefine the game controls at the bottom of the settings menu under 'Redfine Keys', hopefully to a layout your keyboard can handle.

Good luck!

Unfortunately, it's not the keyboard. I noticed this point too and mentioned it in my review. There's definitely something going on. Whether it's a timing issue with the game or something with the particular Windows API used, I don't know. But it is the one point that's been consistently bugging me throughout the game. It's quite sporadic too. I was replaying "Icy 2" the other day, and literally 50% of my deaths where due to left or right not registering...

I will try changing to different keys, just to see if it may have something to do with particular ones (I assume it's possible that the controller APIs process certain keys differently).

Pointed this out in your other thread but I'll repost it here too: this might be a result of you losing control of your ship when you land on the edge of a platform. It's an intentional part of the engine, but way too strong of an effect in the end. If you ever find this happening to you again try looking at where exactly your direction change didn't register. Not that this makes the issue okay - it might just make it a little less freaky if the issue doesn't seem sporadic.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/tinsanit/public_html/bbs/include/parser.php on line 791

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/tinsanit/public_html/bbs/include/parser.php on line 791

5 (edited by dr_st 2013-10-06 14:53:14)

No, that's not it. I'm familiar with the effect you're describing, and although I agree that it's probably a tad too strong in T.S., it's not what I'm referring to.

A simple example of a place where it happens and definitely has nothing to do with the edges of the platform is Speedbumps Road 1, the first sequence.

You start by taking two straight jumps over the first two hurdles, as you accelerate. At this point you are probably dead in the center of the platform, and want to make a lateral jump onto a side platform. If you are going full speed, you will need to start this jump while still in the middle of the bounce after the previous jump. And precisely at this point I often see that the arrow key did not register, and my third jump is going straight.

After noticing this, I went back and did a little more research of the phenomenon, and looks like the problem of the direction keys not registering only happens if you are trying to do consecutive jumps, that is going from a bounce into your next jump. To check this I took an easy road that starts with a long stretch with no obstacles (Read Heat Road 1). I start by accelerating, and then jumping sideways at some point. I noticed that no matter when or which direction I take my first jump, and when - it always registers fine. But in the previous example (Speedbumps), because my jump follows the bounce of an earlier jump, it often does not register the side key.

So it looks to me like there may be some subtle timing issue during the short period of the bounce, where the game will fail to register an arrow key (but will register the jump key itself just fine!). The solution I found that almost always works is just to press the arrow key harder and for a bit longer. It is also less likely if you hold the space bar down between the jumps instead of tapping it (but it is a bit difficult for me, because it goes against my style of play).

I imagine that the reason why you are not hitting this problem is because you either push the keys harder/longer by default (my style is fairly light keypresses), or because, as you mentioned in the other thread, you do tend to hold the spacebar down for consecutive jumps, whereas I mostly tap.