Topic: Tasty Static won't start

Under Lucid Lynx Ubuntu 10.04.
It exits with the error message:

/dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
Segmentation fault

I know it's pulseaudio related, I just don't know how to do a workaround

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/tinsanit/public_html/bbs/include/parser.php on line 791

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/tinsanit/public_html/bbs/include/parser.php on line 791

Re: Tasty Static won't start

Due to poor design choices Tasty Static relies on audio playback for timing certain events and needs a working audio device to run (Tasty Static is a great example of how not to program a video game).
Looks like something is tying up the sound mixer on your system. This might help:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=171182

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/tinsanit/public_html/bbs/include/parser.php on line 737

ohnoleo wrote:

Due to poor design choices Tasty Static relies on audio playback for timing certain events and needs a working audio device to run (Tasty Static is a great example of how not to program a video game).
Looks like something is tying up the sound mixer on your system. This might help:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=171182

Sound-triggered programming??

Whoa.

http://i26.tinypic.com/67rxbn.jpghttp://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1237/68940443.png
leader of the An Untitled Tale project, a fangame of An Untitled Story.

Seems a new linux build is out. Thanks for notifying us users tongue
Bug is fixed now

still occurs in ubuntu maverick with current tastystatic build.  forum recommends installing alsa.  is this necessary?  is anybody else having problems with pulse audio?

thanks for any assistance.  windows version rocks.

I'm just starting game with "padsp tastystatic" and it works fine.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help! I have very little experience with Linux and any native builds you're running weren't compiled or tested by me. If you can confirm using the pulse audio wrapper works like hxka pointed out, I'll drop his tip in the DEB package thread

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/tinsanit/public_html/bbs/include/parser.php on line 737

8 (edited by micronaut 2011-01-17 17:39:57)

ohnoleo wrote:

Sorry I couldn't be of more help! I have very little experience with Linux and any native builds you're running weren't compiled or tested by me. If you can confirm using the pulse audio wrapper works like hxka pointed out, I'll drop his tip in the DEB package thread

genius!  Works here  lol

Running Linux Mint 10 (Ubuntu 10.10) on Dell XPS M1530.

You might try the windows version under wine, I've heard it tends to actually work better than the native build. As for not releasing the sources yet, I have a few different reasons. Sorry if that has inconvenienced you, and thanks for taking an interest in the game